Provided are some tips for roofing maintenance
- As a homeowner you should go up on your roof and visually inspect it at least 2 times a year. The best time to inspect your roof is after winter season especially if you leave in an area with long winters and before the winter season in fall. In the inspection what you’re looking for is making sure no shingles are missing and if the shingles are in good condition, check for curling shingles (check my previous blog for pictures.)
- Visually inspect the roof after every big storm, containing high winds. Check for missing shingles, high winds often result in blown away shingles. Take care of this problem ASAP especially if you have newer house and there is no underlay covering the roof deck, because an exposed roof deck is a great cause to get water in the house.
- After hail check for any shingle damage.
- In winter make sure that you clean the snow off the roof frequently, if we have had a long winter with a lot of temperature variables. Warm weather causing the snow to melt then cold temperatures freezing the snow can cause ice buildup. Ice buildup is not something that the manufacturer of the shingles will cover or the roofing company installing the shingles because it’s not either one’s fault, it’s your duty as homeowner to properly maintain your roof, roof top snow removal is a part of it. Very often these ice build ups can cause excessive roof leakage, and if this happens you need to remove the snow of your roof ASAP.
- Remove only the snow. If you decide to remove the snow of the roof by yourself make sure you remove the snow part only do not touch the ice buildup as soon you start braking the ice you can easily break the shingles as well and therefore damage your roof. If you’ve had roof leakage the damage is already done inside, don’t make a mistake and put yourself yet to another expense. To have a peace of mind call your roofer and get him to remove the snow of your roof. He may be able to give you a prorated price as a returning customer.
How Do I Know I Need A New Roof?
Having a good roof over your head is not a luxury it’s a necessity, so it’s really important to maintain your roof and change it when it’s due to change. There are lots of factors that can influence wear and tear of the shingles. However one very good question arises from this. When is it time to change your shingles? Here are the most common reasons to change your roof.
Shingles are starting to curl and are losing their granulates.
Roof is showing signs of leaking.
You are concerned about how old your roof actually is.
If you have any questions about your roof or would like to book appointment please call us at:
204 334-7370 or email us. We would be glad to be of assistance. Until then remember…
A Roof Done Right Is Water Tight, A Roof Done Wrong Will Not Last Long.